Galleria mellonella (Linnaeus, 1758)
class Insecta → subclass Pterygota → infraclass Neoptera → superorder Holometabola → order Lepidoptera → superfamily Pyraloidea → family Pyralidae → subfamily Galleriinae → tribe Galleriini → genus Galleria → species Galleria mellonella
Galleria mellonella (Linnaeus, 1758) = Phalaena (Tinea) mellonella Linnaeus, 1758 = Phalaena cereana Blom, 1764 = Tinea cerella Fabricius, 1775 = Galleria cerea Haworth, 1811 = Galleria cerealis Hübner, 1825 = Vindana obliquella Walker, 1866 = Galleria austrina Felder & Rogenhofer, 1875 = crombrugheela Dufrane, 1930 = mellomella.
#1. Kaliningradsky; #4. Evropeisky Severo-Zapadny; #7. Evropeisky yuzhno-tayozhny; #8. Evropeisky Tsentralny; #10. Sredne-Volzhsky; #11. Volgo-Donsky; #13. Zapadno-Kavkazsky; #16. Sredne-Uralsky; #17. Yuzhno-Uralsky; #36. Sredne-Amursky; #37. Nizhne-Amursky; #40. Primorsky.
Detailed information with references
Habitus and Differences from alike species
- Length of front wing may be 1.1 and 1.4 cm. The color of the front wings are brown and gray, they spotted a fringe and black longitudinal strokes. Hind wings lighter front, with prominent veins. . Peter Khramov.
- The size is very variable - from 15 to 35 mm wingspan. The front wings are purple-gray, the male is slightly brownish. Hind wings gray. . Peter Khramov.
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Great Britain, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Corsica, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sardinia, Sicily, Slovakia, the Soviet Union - The European part of Turkey - European part, Finland, France, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden, Estonia,Yugoslavia. . Peter Khramov.
- Regions of the Russian Federation: the Volga-Don, the European North-West, Central European, European southern taiga, the Western Caucasus, Kaliningrad, Nizhne-Amur, Seaside, Mid-Amur, the Volga-Average, Average Urals, South Ural. . Peter Khramov.
- Austria, Azores, Balearic Islands, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the British Isles, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece (mainland), Denmark (mainland), Ireland, Spain (mainland), Italy (mainland) , Canary Islands, Corsica, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Macedonia, Malta,Netherlands, Norway (mainland), the Channel Islands, Poland, Portugal (mainland), Romania, Russia, Sardinia, Sicily, Slovakia, Turkey (European part), Finland, France (mainland), Croatia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden , Estonia. . Peter Khramov.
- Several periods during the flight of the year. . Peter Khramov.
Additional info about Imago
- Fly bee bee moth far from dwellings, such as hives. . Peter Khramov.
- As a rule, settled in the hive, the butterfly had already left. . Peter Khramov.
- Larvae live in the nests of bees and bumblebees in the intervals between periods of summer adult butterflies. . Peter Khramov.
Larva food plants
- Caterpillars feed on wax wax moths. . Peter Khramov.
- The caterpillars live in hives, wax feed. When the wax is eaten by caterpillars begin to eat feces of previous generations of caterpillars, butterflies and outputting more and more shallow. . Peter Khramov.
Additional info about Larva
- Often brought before the death of the hive. . Peter Khramov.
Initial species uploading to the site: Peter Khramov. Photos:
Text data: Peter Khramov.
Main characteristics formalization: Peter Khramov.
Color characteristics formalization: Peter Khramov.
-  O. Karsholt, J. Razowski (eds.), 1996. The Lepidoptera of Europe: a distributional checklist
-  Каталог чешуекрылых (Lepidoptera) России. Под ред. С. Ю. Синёва. СПб.; М.: Товарищество научных изданий КМК, 2008
-  Райххолф-Рим Х. Бабочки. М.: Астрель, 2002
-  de Jong, Y.S.D.M. (ed.) (2011) Fauna Europaea version 2.4 (faunaeur.org)
-  Жизнь животных по А. Э. Брему. Т.2: Членистоногие. М.: Учпедгиз РСФСР, 1941
Note: you should have a Insecta.pro account to upload new topics and comments. Please, create an account or log in to add comments
* Our website is multilingual. Some comments have been translated from other languages.