The materials available at Insecta.pro fall into one of the two categories
- Descriptions of species and higher taxa (except accompanying illustrations)
- Articles and illustrations (photos, drawings) contributed by authors
The descriptions can be freely used, copied and shared, including posting on other web sites, but only if the author is indicated and a direct hyperlink, visible to both users and search engines, to the Insecta.pro page containing that description is provided
All rights to the articles published in the Articles section and images in the Gallery section and/or used as illustrations to descriptions or articles are reserved by their authors. These materials are published at Insecta.pro with permission from their authors. In order to use them elsewhere obtaining permission from the author is required website administratorhe may be able to help.
Further information on copyright and related rights can be found in the text of the relevant law.
The publication of photographs on the website
Our site is in permanent need of authors contributing photographs to illustrate descriptions of insects species and higher taxa.
Photographs are also posted in the Gallery, which already contains thousands of images.
- Copyright information is embedded into the image (e.g. © Petr Khramov, Insecta.pro”). For this reason authors are asked to use their real names for registration at the site and include their Latinized versions
- A species description page includes names of the authors of accompanying illustrations, hyperlinked to their personal pages at Insecta.pro
- On such personal pages the authors are free to post information about themselves, including a personal photo, statement of interests, bio, contact info, personal site address, etc.
Technical recommendations for images
- The larger dimension must be a minimum of 800 pixels (1024 if the insect takes up only a small part of the picture). We recommend larger dimension of 1280 pixels. Naturally, the larger the image the better, provided that the file size does not exceed 5MB
- For Jpegs the acceptable compression levels are between 70 and 100 (9 to 12 on the scale used in some programs)
- Images should not include copyright statements, frames or other added elements (remember that your copyright, in the format standard for this site, will be incorporated in your images as part of the publication process)
Biological recommendations for images
- If a picture shows two dry specimens together (e.g. a male and a female), it is better to split these and submit as separate images. Note that this applies only to images of dry/museum specimens and not to images of live insects in the field.
- Of particular interest are photos of the species poorly represented or absent at this site, including their developmental stages, as well as photos taken outside the typical range of the species
Submission of images
By submitting an image you confirm that you are its author and agree to its publication at Insecta.pro. Please do not send us photos taken by someone else. Submission methods:
- The fastest and most convenient for publication is direct upload of Jpegimages or Zip archives of Jpegs onto the site by registered users. Both photographs of identified species and species not known to the photographer are acceptable
- In case there is a problem with uploading onto the site, the images can be emailed to
— if you get a problem with downloading it's better to describe the problem first and then when everything is agreed send photos.
- If, for any reason, direct upload is not possible, you can also upload the images onto another server and give us the link
- Images can be handed directly to the site administrator (if he and the author live not too far away :--)
Random photos from the gallery